As I posted previously, I was using the trainers/diapers I purchased from SunBabyDiapers.com for all three kids. The only problem was that one of the kids was barely getting into them and I worried they would be too stretched out for the littlest one. Plus, I wanted the easier-to-use trainers/diapers for the little one only.
I searched several types of patterns and options. I think there are some nice options to purchase, but they are too expensive for me. Check out http://www.superundies.com – Very cool, but pricey at $19.95-$34.95 each. YIKES! What are they made out of…spun gold? Does Rumpelstiltskin work there? Still, if you do not know how to sew it would be cheaper than buying Pull-ups all the time.
I decided to make our own. Boy am I happy that I did! I can’t spend $20 for one pair of training pants or bed-wetting pants. Instead, let’s talk 50¢ – $1 each!
Yes, that’s more like it!
The pattern and instructions I used for the bed-wetting underwear is here. However, I changed it just a little. I did not put snaps on the sides because they are for older children that will pull them up and down by themselves. And…there better not be any poop in these.
Sewn Together Sides Rather Than Snaps
I also had to make larger sizes than the pattern that is given. I measured the kids and added the extra inches to the pattern around the waist and to the rise. So basically I have XXL and XXXL sizes for the 5 and 6 year old’s that are wearing them.
What did it cost?
The PUL fabrics were on clearance (Red Tag Sale) at JoAnn’s and I purchased the 3 different colors when they had a 50% Off Red Tag sale making each yard only $3 each!For the inside liner, I used leftover cotton fabric I had from a pirate shirt we made for Halloween.
The soaker pad, which is the extra layers to catch fluids, I made out of layers of old t-shirts and old flannel sheets. So…basically free material. I wanted materials that would feel wet. We want them to learn to wake-up when they wet the bed, not sleep comfortably on until morning.I used 1/4 inch elastic for the waist and legs. I bought it on sale and with an extra coupon making it only 50¢ a yard.I used mostly white thread I bought for $1.50, but I later decided to sew around the waist and legs to keep the fabric tight around the elastic so it wouldn’t roll. I ended up buying a spool of green and a spool of brown for $2.25 each. I already had pink.
Here’s my breakdown:
19 1/2″ x 16 1/2″ PUL fabric 45¢ + 1/2 yard 1/4 inch elastic 25¢ + thread 15¢ = 85¢Even if I purchased fabrics for everything my cost would still be pretty cheap for a reusable item that can be used day after day, child after child.
Breakdown of full-price fabrics:
19 1/2″ x 16 1/2″ PUL fabric @ $9 per yard = $1.351/2 yard 1/4 elastic @ $2.49 for 3 yards = 42¢19 1/2″ x 16 1/2″ Inner liner of flannel @ $5.99 per yard = 89¢12″ x 8″ Soaker Pad, 6 layers @ $5.99 per yard = $1.47
Total with “expensive fabrics”:
PUL $1.35 + elastic 42¢ + liner 89¢ + soaker pad $1.47 + thread 15¢ = $ 4.28
The verdict…they love them!
Both kids say they are much more comfortable than Pull-ups because they are not scratchy paper but soft cotton inside. They have done a great job of protecting the bed, although one child wets more than the other (she doesn’t wake-up) and her clothing has gotten a little wet around the inner legs. Still, changing a pair of PJ bottoms and the underwear is a lot less laundry than all of the bed sheets and comforter.After a month I decided I should have made these with a pocket insert so that I could add more absorption to them for the my heavy wetter. That is the only thing I would change.
I saw on Cloth Revolution Diapers (Free Pattern) that you can snap in an extra soaker pad. I’ll update what I decide to do about that at a later date, but I’m leaning towards snapping in the extra pad rather than taking these apart to add more.
Check out the Tutorial Here.