We love Mexican food! I could eat this Three Ways to Make Spanish Rice Recipe at least once a week…maybe even twice a week! It is just that good. The best part of this recipe is that you can make it 3 different ways!
Yep…3 different ways…stove top, rice cooker, or microwave.
I personally like the rice cooker. It just cooks itself and stays warm until we are ready to eat. I don’t have to watch it or worry about if it is done right or not. It just comes out perfect every time. But, if you don’t have a rice cooker, we’ve included the other methods here as well.
Spanish Rice Recipe – Rice Cooker Method
- 1/2 c. butter or 1/4 c. coconut oil (coconut oil just seems to go a long way)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 small green pepper, diced
- 2 c. raw rice (we use long-grain white)
- 2 t. seasoning salt
- 1 t. paprika
- 1 t. chili powder
- 1/2 t. black pepper
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced small
- 2 t. chicken soup base
We have 3 dairy sensitive people at our home. Many of our recipes include instructions for how to make the recipe dairy free. Here is the brand of coconut oil we used for this recipe.
You may also substitute other types of peppers, or adjust the amount of onions, peppers, and chili powder to taste. We have found that this is not too spicy for most kids, as we have fed this to every foster child who ever lived with us and they all ate it well.
- Turn on the rice cooker and let the butter/coconut oil melt.
- Add the onions and green peppers. Stir. Cook for 4 minutes.
- Add rice, seasonings, tomatoes, chicken soup base and the water suggested for cooking 2 cups of rice. (3 1/2 cups of water for mine.)
- Cook as per rice maker instructions. On mine it is just put the lid on and push a button. Here is what it looks like after it is cooked and before it is “fluffed”.
Spanish Rice Recipe – Microwave Method
Spanish Rice – Stove-top Method